|Feb predicted||Feb Actual||Difference||Reason|
|transportation||120||290.4||-170.4||Car rentals, gas, airport parking|
|personal savings rate:||37.2%|
Overall I think this was a pretty good month!
Transportation: I knew it was going to be an expensive month in travel because I rented a car for 4 days when my sister came to visit. The rental itself was $122, so pretty great budget guess. But being a non-driver I obviously forgot to budget for gas, which was $60. On top of that is a 1 day car rental from the end of January that I paid for this month ($40), a lot of parking at the airport ($40) and then the usual bus tickets for $30.
Alcohol: I do like breaking alcohol into it’s own budget line, but I also do feel like a dirt bag when I over spend for booze. It was Valentine’s Day this month!
Net worth Change:
End of Jan Net Worth: -$8938.6
Current Net Worth: -9157.25
Difference: a decrease of $218.65 or -2.4%
* I didn’t talk about this so much, but I did take out $1400+ of my emergency fund to get my partner back in the country. I’m getting paid back slowly but I’m in no rush at all. So numbers wise, it looks weird but don’t worry I didn’t secretly buy a car like I wrote about*
1. Save at least $6000 for potential tuition for Sept 2014- I’m at 59.8% of this goal! More than half way!
2. Continue to save up $1000 for a trip- I’m at 40% of this goal!
3. Make or save an additional $1000 by February- This is an example of how when you just set a goal and don’t actually make a plan to reach it, it won’t get done! I put extra money towards saving this month, . . . .
1. Get out of the city at least once a month.
My sister came to town and we went to Lake Louise and Banff! Yes it was -27 but not only did I get out of the house but I made it out of the city!
2. Run a half marathon under 2 hours 10 minutes
Against all odds and a pretty crappy race strategy I spoke about here– I did it! I finished in 2:00:19 which was an amazing ten minutes improvement on my goal and a personal best! Still overall terrified of running another winter race though, so you win some you loose some.
3. Go on a trip with my partner to somewhere we both haven’t been before.
Still saving steadily for this.
4. Try to chill out about future school plans. Minimize worry/obsessively checking application statuses.
I’m actually doing this! I feel overall very zen and ‘whatever will be will be’.
5. Plan more event/activity based dates with my partner and friends.
I had a pretty exhausting month actually. My sister was here for 4 days so we went to the mountains, saw the Tower and went to a cool beer pub. Then I surprised my partner with tickets for A Tribe Called Red for Valentine’s, which was amazing! I’ve also had some late nights at work, doing cool events, so I think that also counts. I’m hoping to make more plans in March!