January 2014 Monthly Review
2014 is off to an okay start I think, at least financially.
|Jan predicted||Jan Actual||Difference|
|personal savings rate:||31.29%|
Rent: I include house stuff here and I bought a poster and cute decorative thing.
Groceries/personal care: Well, it was just me this month buying food. I thought that would mean I would buy less, but I think (hope) it will just last longer. Also I’ve done a small amount of pampering. I also am trying to renew my passport so I put the $12 passport photo cost here. Who knew Shoppers did passport photos?! They do and it’s fast, cheap and great!
Gifts: Late Christmas gift for my very generous friend’s parents who had me for Christmas!
Net worth Change:
Start of Dec Net Worth: -$9990.31
Current Net Worth: -$8938.6!
Difference: an increase of $1051.71 or 10.5%! Huge change in one month!
1. Save at least $6000 for potential tuition for Sept 2014- I’m at 47.2% of this goal!
2. Continue to save up $1000 for a trip- I’m at 30% of this goal!
3. Make or save an additional $1000 by February- I’m not working towards this goal so much, but the excess money at the end of the month will go to savings, for example this month I planned on saving $600 but I managed to put $827 into savings instead!
- No sweets, candies, cakes, cookies, etc. for the whole month. I did 2 weeks in November so I’m sure I can challenge myself to keep it healthy all month.
Okay well, this was off to a great start. But then I sort of changed it to ‘no buying any sweets, candies, etc’. I think I went at least 14 days without anything, but then there was a bunch of free things at work like muffins, sweet bread, etc. I’m going to continue to try this because at first it was very difficult- I had a lot of headaches from not eating chocolate or candy every day! (wow!) But now I do have a drastically reduced taste for it. So I give myself a 50% on this one.
- Stay on budget! Since I’ve had monthly spending budgets I haven’t exactly stuck to them. I’m going to challenge myself this month to stay on the tight budget for January.
I did get an extra $101 from GST this month, so with that included I was only be off by about $175 from my goal. Considering I put $227 extra into savings, I’ll call that a win!
1. Get out of the city at least once a month.
Well I did plan on being an independent mountaineering woman this month but instead I chose to aim to really stick to the budget. I already have plans to show my visiting sister around the mountains in early Feb, so I hope I can continue this pattern more regularly!
2. Run a half marathon under 2 hours 10 minutes
Less than 1 week now, long runs are going well, hopefully I can just maintain these training successes until then!
3. Go on a trip with my partner to somewhere we both haven’t been before.
Let’s table this one for another day. I feel like my partner will probably want to chill at home first for a while before planning any other trips!
4. Try to chill out about future school plans. Minimize worry/obsessively checking application statuses.
Hahahaha. Well I’m half trying this. I’m much more zen compared to years past. This does not translate to a reduced amount of status checking. I’m home alone what else can I do?
5. Plan more event/activity based dates with my partner and friends.
I did have a pretty social and progressive month which was nice. I went to a fun and delicious fondue party, I did a ‘Name that tune’ night with people from my work which was a lot of fun, I went to a book signing about migrant rights and an aboriginal event to support the Honour the Treaties tour, which was also really cool. The last two I went alone, but I did manage to chat with some people, so I’m getting out there!