2013 Year in Review!
I wrote previously about the huge financial steps I took this year. With those came some huge costs. I bought and sold my first ever car; I moved across the country/continent and I started to have some adult things like half-decent Ikea furniture in my apartment.
Here is where all my money went from January 1 2013- December 31 2013
- I saved $7530.13, or 21.27% of my income this year!
- I put $4650.27 towards my student loan. This was 13.14% of my income. An impressive $4060.95 of this went towards the principle! That loan is 20% paid off!!
- I have prioritized savings over debt repayment especially in the last 6 months because I’m planning on going back to school for a longer term increase in work responsibilities and compensation. After this next level of education I want to really attack debt and move on with my life!
- I earned $35389.32 this year- mostly from the last 4 months at this new job.
- I did spend slightly more than I earn this year, at 101.52% of my budget. The move was an expensive time for sure.
I have only been calculating my net worth since September, but my net worth at the start of September was -$12725.76.
As of the end of December, my net worth is -$9990.31.
That’s an improvement of $2735.45 or 22.2%!
Overall I’m very happy and proud of what I have accomplished financially in 2013. I really feel like this was a learning and foundation year.
I have some longer term plans of paying off all of my student loan, learning more about ETFs and passive investing, possibly real estate investing, but I know 2014 will be focused on saving up for potential school, a pay decrease and just maintaining emergency fund levels.
2014 I’m so ready!